Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Grace like the rain!


Bonswa from Haiti!

            I know it has been awhile since I blogged last. But the internet connection is bad. So I will try my best to sum up the last 12 days in Haiti. First, I want to thank everyone for your prayers and support! It has been so encouraging and a true blessing! I think back right before getting on the plane for Haiti; I was so overwhelmed with emotions. I was nervous and had no idea what to expect. However, I was excited to see God challenge me in new ways and break my heart for Haiti.
            When we arrived at the NVM (Nehemiah Vision Ministries) compound, my first thought was how beautiful Haiti is! We are surrounded by beautiful mountains and it is a constant reminder of how God is here in Haiti! It is so awesome! Since then we have been hard at work serving NVM is so many different ways. We have done a lot of manual labor, with rearranging food, bagging beans and rice, putting together hygiene packages, painting their church, and working in their garden. Another thing is we have been having Creole lessons, which has been has made interacting with the Haitians so much easier. Also, we have gone to Port au Prince to their Campus Crusade for Christ and met with their director who shared his heart about sharing Gospel in Haiti. Over the next few weeks we will be training with the Haitian Cru students, learning how to share the Gospel and then go out together to share the Gospel with college students. We start this tomorrow and I am so excited. Lastly, our team has been getting really close. Each week we are involved in devotions, worship, discipleship groups, and Bible studies. It has been great to grow so close to them as we all grow close to the Lord.
            I think my favorite part so far has been interacting with the Chambrun (the local village) community. The children are beautiful and so joyful. They have nothing, but they are constantly smiling! I have been able to play with them in the village, during their recess outside of their school, and after church.
            My favorite memory so far is at church this past Sunday. It was awesome to see the Haitians worship the Lord. They raised their hands, sang, clapped, and danced all for the Lord. It was beautiful to watch and be a part of. Also it was so humbling to know that one day in Heaven we all (from every nation) will be worshipping our God together forever! After worship and the sermon, Pastor Pierre spoke to the congregation about the outbreak of Cholera in Port au Prince. It was awesome to hear him take the time to make them aware of the situation and explain how to help prevent the disease (washing your hands, etc.). Afterwards, we helped him pass out the hygiene packets, water jugs, hand sanitizers, and bags of rice and beans. It was beautiful to see NVM’s church put their words of hope into action, something tangible and needed. Everyone left with smiles and the hope that only comes from Jesus Christ and His faithfulness.   
            Lastly, I want to share one of things that the Lord has taught me so far. As they say in Haiti,  “Americans have all the watches, but Haitians have all the time.” That is definitely something God has challenged me with.  If anyone knows me, you know that I like a plans, structure, and efficiency. From the beginning our project directors told us we needed to be flexible, patient, and trusting in God’s plan and not our own. It has been amazing to see how Haitians just go with the flow and take joy in whatever they are doing.  It has totally convicted me of how I get so stuck on the details and miss out on purpose of being here, which is to bring Him glory. God’s plan prevails, even if mine doesn’t. Praise God! It has been hard at points to learn this lesson, but I am so blessed to being learning to be content in Him and trusting in His plans alone! He is doing awesome things in Haiti!

“Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails!”                         -Proverbs 19:21

Sorry for the length of the post. I am going to be better about updating as well! Please keep me in your prayers! Thanks again for everyone’s support!        

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you Patricia! We'll continue to pray for you and you continue to let God work through you! Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update Sis. We love you and are so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, honey, I am so glad you are letting the Lord work through you in so many ways. I love your blogs because I miss you and love to hear what you are doing. Can't wait to see pictures and hear all about everything. Love, Gammy and Paco

    ReplyDelete